Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Is this really it?

I heard the trash truck rolling around the corner, headed that way. In our house that means two things: Get the last of the dirty diapers out to the curb and run through the back yard and poop scoop one last time. We have to take these drastic measures, because we only have once a week trash pick up. You can figure out the rest of the problem.

So while I am poop scooping my heart out and trying to beat the trash truck to the curb, what song is going through my head? It should be something cool and rebellious like Twisted Sister's , "We're Not Gonna Take It"? Or Even "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)", right?

But no. I am a dad. Of toddlers.

So the song of the day? "Isa, Turn the Wheel" from the soundtrack of Dora's Pirate Adventure.

Damn. And I really wanted to be cool. Just once. For a little while.

By the way, I think should serve as an excellent example of exactly why daddy needs an MP3 player for Christmas. And did you scroll down through the Twisted Sister link? That would have been a cool class to take. I bet that professor has an MP3 player.

4 comments:

Mister Dad said...

Oh my god - you just made my night! I always have that song stuck in my head too (Isa turn the wheel, turn the wheel isa... I'M TURNIN THE WHEEL, I'M TURNIN THE WHEEL, I'M TURNIN THE WHEEEEEEEEEL) - it's maddening. It's either that or "rescue pack" from Go Diego Go... I also was racing the sound of the recycling truckes squeaking brakes this morning, but the only thing going through my head was "SHIT! I missed it again!!!!!!" - and I did... I've now got 3 bags of bottles & cans sitting on the front porch...
By the way - I think it's cool to have Dora songs going through your head.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog because I had that awful song in my head and did a search hoping I would get sidetracked from it (nothing is as sure to get a thought out of my head as concentrating on it). By the way - an article in Slate describes your situation and gives it a great name "earworm" (http://www.slate.com/id/2134938/). I hope you got the MP3 player - it does help, but when you aren't wearing it you'll still get a Wiggles song, "What is it Deigo?", or heaven forbid, a Doodlebops song breaking in between Iron Maiden and Godsmack songs. One second you're thinking "The Trooper" then "Crunchy Munchy Honeycakes" the next.

rut said...

Swiper.... Swiper... Swiper... Swiper... it's been a year since this was initially posted, but kids are still listening to and loving Pirate Adventure, while the songs turn donuts in our heads.

Thanks for the post. My girls think I'm cool, and join me, when I sing "Isa turn the wheel..." In my small circle, nothing could make me happier.

Anonymous said...

What is the definition of "classic?" Well...I think one definition is "something that rings true and holds its weight through the years...and this does. I am reading this post from 1 and a 1/2 years ago and it is as current as can be. I am a Dad of two girls (2.3 and 6 months) and we have only watched Dora's Pirate Adventure maybe twice. The last time was at least 3 months ago but I still burst out into "Isa turn the wheel" at least every other day. The song rocks. I got a real kick out of seeing everyone else's stories here.

A couple years ago there was an album where alternative bands did versions of Saturday morning cartoon songs (Hong Kong Fooey by Sublime, etc.). How come no one has thought of doing this for Dora, Digeo, Doodlebops, etc.? Maybe they have. Back to Google......