Saturday, October 31, 2009

Scared Shi*less on Halloween


The pic of my face is not SUPPOSED to be the scary part, but there you have it. This week may end up going down as one of the scariest moments in my life. And in the grand scheme of things I pretty much hope it does not get worse than this.

Anyways, after ignoring some raw, sore spots on my ugly mug for far too long I finally hit up the dermatologists office this week. Didyaknow it is a bad idea for a guy with pale skin complexion to be outside all the damn time for almost 40 straight years? Yeah, I knew that too.

Of course, I have also known for years that I should wear a hat, long sleeves and sunscreen. And I have been doing all of those things since I was born since I left the dermatologists office with a prescription for a creme that will hopefully help keep these pre-cancerous spots on my face from developing any further into cancer cells.

The downside of the medicine is that it basically burns your face off for a month or two, causing the bad skin spots to die and slough off. So for the next two months or so I am going to look like The Boss Lady finally threw that vat of boiling acid that she keeps on the stove, on me. Which may not even be much of a change. Also, the medicine buns like a mother @#*)&@#$)(!

I have used it for two nights and so far I have managed to sit an whimper for two or three (or four) hours after slathering my face. All for the greater good of not having my fave turn into a giant tumor.

One side effect of all this attention to my face was completely unexpected. I spent more this week at the makeup counter than my wife has all year long. The dermatologist wanted me to buy a specific facial moisturizer and some industrial strength sunscreen to use all the dang time. And never being one to ignore great advice (except for all of that stuff about sunscreen, hats and sleeves that I ignored for 40 years), I dropped $35 at Walgreens the other day.

All of this to say that this week could have been a lot worse. Still it has made Halloween scary enough I think.

The Boss Lady and I have tried to attack this as we usually do, injecting as much humor, information and booze into the situation as we dare. I do understand that the diagnosis could have been a lot worse. And I can't help but think that if I had remained as stubborn as I usually am, then it might have been.

And finally, here is a little more information about actinic keratosis.

3 comments:

Mec said...

That sucks, buddy. Sorry. On a brighter note, that will probably get you a lot of attention from the moms at the school. Since you have to suffer through the burning you might as well milk it for all it's worth. And in the mean time I'm gonna try to think up a new moniker for you to use during this cancer treatment time.
Your friend M
PS I wanted to say lots of really sweet things but figured you would call me on it and then make fun for sounding like a bad halmark card.

The Father of Five said...

Wow... That IS scary... You and your family will remain in our thoughts and prayers through this... I am certain things will turn out A.O.K. in the end... I talked with my Dad last night, and these are the same things he deals with off and on.. (oh, and he is 72 years old... )

Just curious... Did the dermatologist suggest an extended period in the "northern climes" of our great nation... One where sub zero temps keep you indoors and out of the sun for a couple of months at a time??

Jen said...

Sorry to hear, Mike, but glad it's getting under control. I've been out of the loop for a while during my migration to the great state of North Carolina. But hopefully, I'll find time to check in now and again, again. :) Hope it gets better soon!