Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm an Also-Ran for the World Cup of Dads/Chicken Farmers

Big, BIG (almost) screw-up on my part and I can blame it on studying for once!

My Sis-in-law is in town for a few days with her two sons. The Boss Lady wanted to take the entire herd, 4 kids and 3 adults, out to a water park. I knew I wouldn't miss out on anything too exciting, so I opted to stay home and finish up studying for my state exam.

I walked out while they were loading into the van and I decided to let the little chicks play in the yard for a few minutes. I headed inside to get my study material and promptly forgot about the chicks that were loose in the front yard.

That was before 10 o'clock this morning.

A few minutes ago I took a lunch break and I walked out front to check the mail. When I saw the wide-open chicken cage, I remembered the loose, unguarded babies. Lucky Day! I found them all (very much alive, thank you) resting in the front flowerbed under a big ol' rosemary plant. So not only are they now free range birds, but the have already "herbed" themselves.

No comments: