I got busted on a teacher review earlier in the year for using that phrase too often in front of my classes. Evidently it is not OK to make deals with the students. I am just supposed to lay it out for them and they are supposed to learn.
Like my students, I sat through the lecture on my technique and then returned to the classroom to make more deals but no real changes...
It is officially summer. I have no keys to any public school classrooms and I like it that way. I have very little work related that I need to do between now and August 1. Awesome! The kids and I are leaving in about 5 days on our epic road trip to St Louis and points East. We will be gone for at least a week, running the roads in the south and central United States. I bet we find some awesome adventures along the way.
In work related news: I am officially finished with my tenure as a math teacher. But I will always have the fond, happy memories. When the new school year starts I will be back on my same campus. Neither The Boss Lady nor I ended up taking a job at the new school. My new class will be much different. I was responsible for 30 7th grade students last school year as their Tracking Teacher. Supposedly I helped them keep up with assignments and communicated with their parents frequently about individual Special Education needs. I was also responsible for 25 math students in my drop-level math classes. THEN, I saw about 75 more students in grade-level math classes.
Now I am not great at math, but that seems to add up to about 130 kids a day I was supposed to keep tabs on. Next year I will have less than 10! And THAT is math that I agree with.
Of course, there is a downside. These 10 students (maybe as few as 5) come with lots of medical issues and LOADS of paperwork. I keep thinking that no matter how much paperwork 5 students can generate, there is no way that it could be more than 130 can cause. I am also afraid that I am about to be slapped right upside the head with a reality check!
The biggest change of all is that I will need to bust out my managing skillz again. The new classroom comes with a staff of 4 or 5 that I have to keep corralled. That will be the biggest job.
So there you have it. The final installment on the 2011-2012 school year. Forever to be known as The Year of Mikey Math.
Now let us never speak of it again.
Monday, June 04, 2012
OK, so here is the deal...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment