Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nailing down the party prep

Unless you are one of the handful of people who know the background information, you'll just have to wait for the full version of the story. I'll get to it in a few days.

But here is a little glimpse into the party preparations for our shindig this Saturday evening: We have enough people coming that I decided to take down a section of our fence to make it easier for the herd of party-ers to get in and out of our backyard.

While I was working on that this morning, I needed to remove a board that had been nailed onto a post. Evidently it was nailed on by King Kong, too.


If you will please notice, I broke 2 (Two! BOTH!) hammers trying to pry out that #$*& nail. First to go was my 23 oz. framing hammer with the pretty red hickory handle. She gave lost the battle, but not before leaving me enough space that I could go after the board with the smaller hammer and you can see for yourself how that worked out for the little claw hammer.

I was successful. I got the nail pulled and I got the board removed. But what price success? I used Big Red for pretty much every building project around here in the last 11 years. Before Big Red I went through a slew of framing hammers to find one that I really liked.

Now it looks like I'll be back in the hammer hunt before I tackle the chicken coop building project.

2 comments:

Aaron Bennett said...

Buy an Estwing. It will be the last hammer you buy for the rest of your life, at least, until your son steals it to build a loft in his dorm room. Family owned, made in america, one piece forged steel head and shaft.

Kidd said...

I don't own an Estwing, so nothing against them (especially since I'm not a person that uses a hammer daily), but I've had a Stanley Fatmax for the last 2 years, and it's easily the best hammer I've ever owned.