Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Where now?

I was looking back the other day and I noticed how this blog has gone exactly like most of my other projects. I posted a load of crap originally. Both in quantity and quality. Then I sort of tried to focus on substantial content. So the post count dropped. But the quality probably didn't really jump way up, either.

For the past year or so I seem to have been distracted by every other possible thing. And a lot of what I do now, working with other people's kids, is off limits. At the end of the day, I can only make my usual, high-quality, pity observations about laundry and chickens every so often, so the blog has been the easiest thing to back-burner.

I used to see something during the day and I would think "can't wait to blog this!" It is sort of ironic that now that I have the constant ability to blog via smart phone and netbook, that I seldom consider doing it that often anymore. Besides all that, there have been a lot of times lately when I just don't wanna blog. So I don't.

This whole thing started out as an alternative to a baby book. The kids are well past the baby book stage and my AtHomeDad days are mostly over now, save for summer breaks between now and college, but surely there are still some crazy, head-scratching events to come.

Last week I was debating if I should just shutter the whole thing. In the end I think not yet.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I can relate to struggling to get a few quality posts up each month, when a few years ago, I weekly (or daily) thought "I can't wait to blog about that". In 2009, I went for 4-6 months with almost no posts, then revived the blog.

I say, keep blogging. There are events and memories that you will not remember as clearly if you don't.

I'm not sure of the ages of your kids, but my oldest is 10, and he has recently started occassionally sitting down and reading my blog... mainly archived posts. When he sits at the computer and laughs at a post from a few years ago, or comments about a fun memory or trip, it's infinitely more rewarding than looking at my stats to see how many hits I have or how many countries I'm receiving hits from.

The Father of Five said...

I have some strong but conflicted feelings on this post.

They have been kicking around in my head for the past few days - Still floating around in there...

Stay tuned...