Next month we are having some foundation work done and I have been really wanting to get the yard back in shape. Today we started cleaning up and renovating a big flowerbed in our front yard.
The front flower bed. A mix of 1982 fabulous and a 2005 re-work that is looking a little tired and boring.
After Day 1.
Lots of clean up and digging out of 30 year old ground cover.
There may not be a lot of obvious progress in these pics, but I have the blisters on my hands to prove that The Boss Lady and I did A LOT of work out there today. I dug out about a mile of Asian Jasmine ground cover that was here when we bought the house. This stuff is notoriously hard to kill and even though it is brown and dead-looking in the top picture, I am sure we have not seen the last of it. In fact, I didn't trash the jasmine, I moved it to the backyard to fill holes left by the dog, kids and chickens. We have a retaining wall that is a pain to mow or weed-eat, so ground cover will be perfect up there.
To keep the cost of the renovation down, I am going to move several plants to new locations in the landscape. When we are done with the cleanup and new pea gravel ground cover, we are adding some large planters. You'll have to wait for those details though.