Monday, October 16, 2006

The migration patterns of STUFF...

In college I had a book of quotes that I would refer to often. They were great for speech classes or just for useless trivia. One of the quotes I remember and have held dear follows:

A pile for everything and everything in its pile...
Corporal Maxwell Q. Klinger, M*A*S*H 4077

So this afternoon I decided to give the robot a little help. I started sweeping the living room and dining rooms so that the little Roomba would not have so much work to do. Problem is, all of the STUFF. I sent at least 8 pair of shoes down the hall, a dozen pair of socks to the laundry, tons of picture books and puzzles to the mantle and the rest of the stuff went onto the rug in the middle of the living room.

And now, the sweeping and mopping are done, the little robot is cleaning up my left overs and the STUFF sits on the rug. When the rest of the floors are clean enough, it will be time to move the pile and let the robot have a chance at the rug.

This would be the perfect time to actually put all of this crap away, right? But why does it never seem to happen that way? I'll start with the shoes. Easy enough to sort into proper places. But by the time I really get rolling on the STUFF, something will come up and the pile will sit.

Oh, it may get moved off of the rug. It is a pretty rug, and I hate seeing it all cluttered up. But when it does get moved, I'll bet that less than 50% of this junk actually lands in it's proper place. Most of it will migrate to a more remote corner of the living room, to be dealt with later.

Or, at least to be moved back to the rug, later. When the robot needs some room to run.

No comments: