Friday, November 21, 2008

Facebook, the black hole of the internetz

I signed up for a Facebook account a couple of years ago. I think it was the first day they opened registration up to non-university related email addresses. But I did not mess with it much. Only one college buddy was on there and I did not take the time to seek out anyone else.

Last summer I started looking into it a little more. Then it sort of steamrolled into a beast. Nowadays The Boss Lady is on FB and we frequently must push the other off of a computer to get back to the importance that is FB.

People I have only met online but consider friends, people who were friends in high school, guys I grew up with at church, some friends from here in town and from back in small town Texas and a whole host of my college pals are all on Facebook now.

Last week I started noticing some random connections between friends. A couple of examples: my Sis (the real one, NOT the so-called one) and a college dorm mate (who never met) both are friends with the same guy. Other Dad, who lives 10 houses away from me and a high school friend who lives in NYC are both friends with a guy who lives in San Francisco. FB seems to make the world a little smaller.

So with all that I seem to be able to go less than an hour without checking up on FB. I had to sit in the office and monitor the phones the other day. Yep, I was on FB. I set up FB mobile on my DS Lite via the wireless connection. And I frequently FB from The Boss' computer that she totes back and forth to school.

So there you have it. My true confession. The house work and laundry have gone to crap. My blogs are dying from lack of content. And I think the kids might have missed out on dinner last night. That is just the way us FB junkies roll.

Just deal, OK? And then update your status to let us know in 12 words or less HOW you dealt with it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and FOF are on it. Look up FOF and you'll eventually find me!
Or, e-mail me offline and I'll give you my real-life secret identity!

Mike said...

I found FoF (Or he found me). I'll look you up, too. That is one of the reasons I like Facebook, a little more security with names and stuff, since I can control who sees my personal info a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

I've used it for a while but I am not really a junky. The new facebook is to cluttered for my liking. But I still check it once a day just to keep in touch.

If any body want join me I am http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=621980970&ref=profile

Darren said...

I'm completely addicted to Facebook too. It would be embarrassing, but so many people I know are on there too.

The Father of Five said...

I think I "peaked" about a week ago.. Maybe because I have been so busy, or maybe just because...

I try to check it once in the AM and the PM - once and a while I check in between...

Anonymous said...

i recently conceded to being sucked into FB AND twitter. I live my life in 140 character bytes

Anonymous said...

nothing like the old six degrees of separation theory to make the world a it smaller and distances a lil shorter!!
:)