Sunday, August 12, 2007

Camp on!

Rick and the boys from northwest 'Bama are planning another backpacking trip. Last year's trip was a blast, so I am heading out there in a couple of months. Another 2000 mile drive to enjoy a 20 mile walk in the woods! I could fly, but that would shorten the trip by a day and a half, so the VW and I will be road tripping this October.

And one of the best parts of any great adventure started last night. The buying of the gear. My pack last trip worked fine, but once I Becca-ed* one of the other guy's packs for a while I realized that a nicer backpack would be in my future.

Thanks to REI-outlet.com, I'll be sporting a new 5500 cubic inch internal frame pack. It is not the biggest pack on the market, by any means. But after I saw how these guys carry enough gear for an attack on Everest, I don't want the biggest pack on the trip. Those guys can sniff out empty space and they would likely fill it with cast iron cookware or an oven or something.

Maybe we'll see Becca on the trail again this year. Either way, I am sure I'll have enough space in the new pack for my rocking chair!


*Becca-ed - verb, a really, really useful verb

definition - to act as a personal servant. In ways that one can only imagine...

origin/usage - Becca packed out all of the gear
for her boy toy after keeping him busy all night long in the Tennessee wilderness. He got Becca-ed real good and then she Becca-ed the gear home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a smaller pack? That pack looks huge to me!

Mike said...

Yeah, it is a lot bigger than my old pack, but still...

I could have blown The Boss Lady's wad on a pack and gotten one the size of a domesticated garbage truck.

But she would not let me, even though I begged.

Leighton @ My Best Investments said...

Remember, it's not the size of the pack that's important. It's what you do with it.

***

My dad and a group of his buddies take off every fall to hike a stretch of the AT. They've been going for 10-15 years. He doesn't miss his hiking trip for anything.

AtHomeDaddy said...

The AT is my ultimate goal. Maybe when I am 100 years old and the kids are finally both sleeping all night...

Ginger said...

Nothing like a camping trip as an exuse to spend money at the REI store.