Sunday, February 24, 2008

Road Trip!

JB, my college roommate, and I took a road trip this weekend to go fishing down at Pop's fishing cabin on the Gulf coast. Other than some piss-poor navigation on my part that added 45 minutes or so to the drive down there on Friday night, we had a heck of a good time.

According to Pops, stingrays move into the bay just before the flounder start coming in. And if there is anything to that, and you like flounder, then get down there and start fishing. I have only caught one stingray at Pop's place before this trip. Saturday I caught three or four 'rays.



At Pop's pier we reeled in a couple of small flounder, a few black drum and a couple of red drum while we were fishing in the bay. We also caught a couple of hardhead catfish on the sail line. After a late lunch, JB, Pops and I went fishing in town. We hit a ton of small fish there, including piggy perch, sand trout along with more of the same species we had caught earlier across the bay.

After 6 or 7 hours of fishing we had landed several dozen fish, but we never even got a peek at one that was large enough to keep. Which is OK, too. That just meant we did not have to clean a bunch of fish when we were done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo jealous. My mom has a place down on Dauphin Island. You can flat-bottom boat gig for flounder for hours and never cover the same spot twice.

I do miss the coast!

-Dobe

Terry said...

I went deep sea fishing a few years back and it was sooooo much fun. The catch of that day was while I was reeling in a red snapper, a nurse shark took it for bait. The guys then spent the next hour reeling in the shark. She was about 4' long and maybe a hundred pounds. I would love to go again!!!