Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Everybody in the tub

We just spent the best part of the evening huddling in the tub. No, The AtHomeFamily wasn't feeling especially close tonight. But we were under a Tornado Watch. People were calling in reports of a tornado touching down just a couple of miles away to the local news channels. So we hit the tub.

Houses around here, especially those built a 15-40 years ago, usually have a centrally located interior bathroom without windows. Lots of walls between the family and the storm is a good thing. The kid's potty room here fits that bill. So we hung out in there.

We were ready to pull The Talker's mattress over us if the storm actually hit. And the pets were all hanging close by, though I never actually brought them into the 6ft by 10 ft bathroom.

The storm passed us by without much more than a few sprinkles of rain. And so far it looks like most of the region was spared a direct hit. Hopefully that is the last of the excitement for the evening.

The kids were fine throughout. No one was too scared or upset by the change in beds. They managed to sleep through the whole thing. All the while sharing a bathtub.


Now believe me, I am not making light of tornadoes or severe weather. I have seen the destruction left behind first hand and it is not a joke. Besides, neither The Boss Lady nor I would risk scaring the kids unless it were really serious.I just thought that image of my family hunkering down together was nice. The fact that the kids trust us enough to snooze, even if we tell them to do it in a bathtub is pretty amazing.

All the while I was pacing from TV to TV watching the radar screens. Luckily, this storm did not cause serious problems around here and nothing more serious seems to be headed this way tonight.

The Boss Lady and I are pretty well prepared for severe storms. Still, it is good to double check once in a while. Here are some websites with good weather info.

6 comments:

Susan Godfrey said...

Glad the really bad weather passed you by! Tornado season is just no fun. Marty knew and built several of the houses in the housing addition in Crowley that was hit by a tornado a while back. They give me the heebie jeebies. The photo of the kids asleep in the bathtub was rather cute though. It amazes me how kids can do that...fall asleep nearly anywhere.

Well have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm in Austin, too!
SW...Circle C Ranch.

I was watching the weather last night...glad y'all made it through! Yesterday's storm ripped the brick off of the high school in Salado. I can't imagine what a twister would do to it after that!

Jaradee

The Father of Five said...

Do you have a NOAA S.A.M.E All-Alert Radio??

Anonymous said...

Glad you're all OK! I'm sure the kids just thought it was very exciting! When I was little, I remember the whole family gathering at my aunt's house during hurricane's since her's was the furthest inland, and brick. I guess I knew we could all get killed, but it was really just a heckuva lotta fun for me.
Now I know better!
-Chris

Kristi said...

That may be the cutest sleeping kids picture I have seen, and I have taken more than I can count. Your blog looks like fun. My friend also has a daddy blog at
Dad of Divas.blogspot.com

It;'s nice to meet you. I think I'll wander around your site some more.

Maude Lynn said...

My daughter thinks that the whole tornado warning routine is the coolest thing ever!

Adorable picture!