Saturday, February 14, 2009

Now I can safely wander away from the backyard

I am pretty sure The Boss Lady is tired of hearing me whine/gripe/complain/bitch/moan and groan about our back yard fence issues. So she is preparing to send me away. With one of these.

I have looked at handheld GPS units for years, but it just seemed like another gadget for me to collect. That is, until Father of Five started chronicling his geocaching adventures. Then I got bit by the bug pretty good.

Still, I was torn. Maybe a car GPS would be more useful. My buddies have lots of different models that I could check out and they are pretty cool. But the reality is that I never drive anywhere exciting enough to need a map. Much less a GPS system.

A few weeks ago I started watching Amazon for a good deal on a handheld GPS. Basing my preference on FoF's experience and loads of good online reviews, I was mainly looking for an Garmin Etrex Venture HC, but I was willing to entertain other good deals that came my way. I amost gave in and bought a black and white screened Venture H last week, but in the end, I went with FoF's good word and bought the Venture HC. $134 with free shipping on Amazon.com

The Talker and I are planning a backpacking trip for mid-March. Hopefully the new toy will be seeing a lot of use before that.

1 comment:

The Father of Five said...

Yikes... I'm not sure what to say here.. Someone actually listened to me for a change... I'm so used to talking without anyone hearing me!! (snicker)

I am looking forward to hearing about your first GeoCaching adventures!! I'm convinced you and the kids will have a BLAST!!