Monday, June 28, 2010

Full on Summer

It is hot out there. Now you know.

We have already gotten into a routine of playing outside in the mornings and evenings, with the heat of the day broken up with movies and video games. Not the most exciting summer, but it is workable and the chance of heat stroke goes way down this way.

Not only are we feeling the heat, the backyard farm is, too. The chickens have slowed down on their egg production to the point that I contemplated buying eggs at the grocery store yesterday. Head dips in shame.

The garden is suffering, too. I can't water enough to keep the plants from wilting. This morning I did manage to harvest the 4 puniest strawberries ever grown. Still, they tasted so good that I am not ashamed I didn't share them with anyone else. I found a couple of Roma tomatoes and a handful of green beans, too.

Today is another hot one so we are hitting the YMCA pool. Perhaps a few times.

1 comment:

The Father of Five said...

The Mother of Five and #5 of 5 just put our garden in last week!

It's in a little late - but we could not turn down the 1/2 price plants at our local nursery (across the street from us)

This is our first attempt at a garden in a few years - and we already have tomatoes growing..

Blog post idea? You betcha! I'm just that far behind!