Friday, June 30, 2006

Who is this fat slob wearing my clothes and playing with my toys?

When we signed up at the YMCA a couple of weeks ago, I was thrilled with the idea of having more options available for play times with the kids. During the school year we sometimes get into a rut, going to the same parks and playing with all of the same kids. So it will be nice to have our kids around a new group of kids once in a while.

But I was most excited by all of the really cool looking equipment in the fitness center. Treadmills, ellipticals and free weights, oh my. Since we joined, I have been up there several times. But I have been trying to take it a little easy, no need to hurt myself while I try to get back into decent shape.

Today I started a 6 week fitness program with a personal trainer. After asking lots of questions about diet and exercise the trainer did a couple of basic fitness tests, a body fat pinch test, a bench press strength test and a 3 minute step test. Guess what. I am fat and out of shape. Ti was a real ego boost to see those results.

Let's just say he could pinch a lot more than an inch and I think I started crying while I was bench pressing 80 pounds as many times as possible in 60 seconds.

Anyways, to celebrate my girth, we ran out (OK, we drove over to Lowes) and bought a new lawn mower. This one isn't self-propelled, so I guess I can get a little more exercise while I lug the Troy-Bilt up and down the hills.

Or maybe I'll just have a stroke and you can bury my weak fat ass in the tall grass.

4 comments:

jen said...

It's great you're starting a new exercise routine, Mike!! Maybe in a few weeks we can get you to climb a rock wall! :)

Mike said...

I would be really sad if I tried to get into my harness right now. The Boss Lady and I used to go to the rock gym several tiems a week.

Then I decided fat and lazy would be fun to try for a while.

Oda Daddy said...

Before my little girl was born, I had lost about 25 lbs. After she was born I gained about 35. Now we get to go run everyday and I've lost about 8 lbs. It's a slow, and painful process.

-Jim

Mike said...

OD, glad to hear it. SOrt of.

All of my other Stay at home dad buddies lost weight when they got home with the kids.

Not me. It is like having two roving snack machines in the house. And I can't resist 10am snacktime. Or 2pm or 5 pm or 7:30pm snacktime, either,