Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Going off the sauce

Since it as recently been featured so prominently on this blog, I want you all to say goodbye to my gut. The pot belly is going to go away.

Seems like my on again/off again exercise routine hasn't really helped, but I don't see changing that up very much. I fit in workouts when I can.

So that leaves a change in diet. Which is odd, since I usually don't eat breakfast or any real lunch. I snack through the day instead. But the real killer for me is the Dr Pepper. Gallons of it every day.

I decided a while back that I was going to quit the stuff after our vacation. Now, vacation has come and gone. And I haven't gone cold turkey. After all, I still have to function during the day, and even cutting down on the caffeine/sugar buzz brings on a pretty good headache most of the time and i did not want to feel like crap on our vacation.

But as I sit here, at 5:30 in the evening, I am sipping on Dr Pepper #2 for the day. And hopefully this will be the last one for the night. Unless my headache gets any worse, then I'll either drink another Dr Pepper or kill someone. Whatever.

4 comments:

jen said...

OH my God. Quitting soda is the toughest ever (though I truly believe the best thing for anyone). My boyfriend, the med student, drinks Pepsi like crazy. (Yes, I think it's ironic that a med student is addicted to Pepsi). That's all I ever see him drink. A few months ago I got him off it. Down to a can or less a day. His boards came, and the Pepsi was back. (And his big belly). Good luck, Mike! It's tough, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it. You'll feel much better. Sugar is America's enemy, and soda should be used as toilet bowl cleaner.

Terry said...

It also cleans corroded batteries very well!!

I am down to one 8oz can per day, and the headaches have subsided!!

Good Luck!!

Idaho Dad said...

After our Disneyland trip, on which I gained eight more pounds, I started a "No bread, no pasta, no potatoes, no sugary treats" diet. That includes my one 20 oz. bottle of Coke each day. Oh man! This is hard. The Diet Coke just doesn't do it for me. Drinking gallons of water isn't quenching my thirst for sugary carbonated drinks.

The bread part is hard too. Bread is one of the ultimate comfort foods for me. I love a good sourdough sandwich. Mmmmm... Yum...

However, one of the best ways to get rid of belly fat is to cut out the carbs. It takes about two weeks to see real results. It's just torture, though, to get through those 10-14 days.

Angel said...

Good luck quiting Dr. Pepper. My doctor ordered me off caffiene completely yesterday and I drink a cup of coffee a day but sweetened iced tea the rest of the day. I have been able to cut out soda/ pop but it wasn't cold turkey, it was a slow withdrawal. It isn't easy giving up a favorite thing. I wish you luck!